- Symbolises protection, benevolence and peace, and the dispelling of fear
- Generally made with right hand raised to shoulder height, the arm crooked, the palm of the hand facing outward, the fingers upright and joined
- This mudra – appears to be a natural gesture, probably used in prehistoric times as a sign of good intentions
- The hands raised and unarmed proposes friendship, or peace
- Traditional Indian gesture of appeasement made by the Buddha when. He was attacked by an angry elephant, which immediately calmed the animal.